Thursday 1 January 2015

Disclaimer

Disclaimer

I felt it necessary to include this little caveat at the beginning of many of my posts, as the average reply seems to be completely off topic, sure, there are trolls, but I find the average gamer to be more intellectual, so I get smarter trolls!

1. Blogs

When I began Blogging in the mid 90's they were webpages I had to write out the HTML for. It was considered then (and to much of an extent now) to be a log of events by a developer, written on the web for a chosen audience to view (often the dev team, but sometimes publicly).
Later Blogs became more public, more open, allowing readers to identify with the author, wanting to read things they agreed with.. Later still Trolls started to disagree with what was written, rather than just going somewhere else.
I wrote my early blogs as tech manuals for my player base, but for this Blogger site, I've rewritten them into a kind of diary about what I did back 30 years ago, when gaming was still viewed as a 'nerdy satanistic unhealthy thing'
I hardly ever edit what I write, If I wrote "thought of the day" expect it to be brain vomit of ideas about a topic, often unresearched, which I admit does entice trolls to come puke their own thoughts.. sometimes I learn something new from their 50 hour long posts on why I'm wrong.
I do use click-bait titles, because, quite honestly, I've always done that, even in real life I start topics with a more controversial way of thinking about things, I get more honest answers out of people that way. I'm not doing it to gain readership, because this blog is for me to ensure I get it out of my head and onto (e)paper, and maybe, just maybe one person might benefit and their gaming will get better.

2. Dungeonworld is a World Simulation Roleplay Game.

It concentrates on the ideas that a good story can be told in a way that doesn't need to break the existent universe they are in. Dice are used to measure the degree of randomness in a world, yet they should not make the world random, they should merely indicate to the GM & players, in which direction should the decision be, and how 'strong' it should be.
Dungeonworld core mechanic is an open 2d12, 1's and 12's modify the result for 'extra' boosts. We also use Open Ended d100s for more realism.
Dungeonworld is a far more realistic Roleplay System, health is based on real life health, pain, wounds, diseases, infections, stress etc, Players will have to think, not only about how to take out the creature, but how to survive the trek back to camp. Much Pain has been taken to ensure that the realism is as close as a roleplay game can get, and yet, still be fun to play.
Dungeonworld is a more complex game, because complexity gives players more choices, takes away the heavier thinking, compartmentalises the aspects of play so that you only use what you need to use and get into the game & plot and adventure without worrying if your character is min-maxed to perfection.
Dungeonworld is supported with an Online World, allowing GMs to sit back and relax, think more about the situation they are in, rather than figuring out the complexities of an entire world every session. Players can be more relaxed in the knowledge that their GM isn't going to miss out on something critical, because the Online world will cover that.
Lastly, Dungeonworld is a Live World, if you kill the goblin hoard in the forest of thieves.. other players won't be able to.. their already dead. The actions of players have consequences on the world.


3. Dungeonworld(tm & r & c)

Dungeonworld(one word) became a name in 1992, I trademarked it then and have owned it since then. Australian Trademark & Copyright laws state that I have full ownership of that name, and anyone publishing in Australia would be in breach of those laws.
I have only recently become aware that a UK based games company is publishing under the name Apocalypse World: Dungeon World, I have written to them to express how this violates my trademark, they did not write back, but instead threatened the two other Dungeon World companies that exist in the world(and failed).

No comments: